The days when sneakers were only worn as sports shoes are long gone. Whether stars of the show and film business, athletes and yes even the former President of America Barack Obama, are all wearing sneakers today. Sneakers have conquered not only the leisure world but also the business world and can be found in everyone’s wardrobe these days. Yet sneakers have not just been around since yesterday.
Men's sneakers - from sports article to fashion shoe
Sneakers evolved at the beginning of the 20th century from a sports shoe with a rubber sole. Until then, all outdoor shoes were always soled with leather and therefore tended to be a bit noisy when walking. For this reason, the American advertising expert Henry Nelson McKinney gave the "quiet" rubber-soled shoes the name sneaker, which he derived from the word to sneak. One of the pioneers of the modern sneaker is the Chuck Taylor from Converse, which appeared as early as 1917. Sneakers achieved their final breakthrough in the 1950s, when the movie star James-Dean had himself photographed for a photo series wearing a pair of sneakers.
High- or low-top sneakers: the choice is yours
Sneakers are very versatile and can not only be worn with a casual look, but can also be combined with many other outfits. You have the choice between low-top sneakers that end just above the foot, high-top sneakers that reach the ankles and slip-on sneakers that you just slip into. Most sneakers are made of either leather, synthetic or textile materials. However, even though sneakers can be combined with almost anything these days, not every sneaker style, sneaker type or sneaker material fits every occasion.
Here are a few basic basics for wearing men’s sneakers
1. Only buy sneakers that are in line with your own style. It's better to avoid trendy sneakers and colours that don't match your personality. Our sneakers all have a very simple and timeless silhouette that will not go out of style. To enhance the timelessness of our sneakers we do not use flashy colours that might not be trendy anymore next year. The rule is: the more clean and simple the design, the easier it is to wear sneakers with both casual and business outfits.
2. Sneakers nowadays fit almost every occasion and outfit. Be it with casual outfits for leisure or even with informal suits at work. But do not overdo it. On certain occasions, there may be a dress code that requires more classic shoe. For example, it's better not to wear sneakers with a tuxedo.
3. Make sure that the color of your sneakers matches the rest of your outfit. Except for white sneakers, you can’t just combine every color with every outfit.
4. Make sure that you take care of your sneakers and keep them clean. Shoe trees can also be a good idea for sneakers to keep them in shape permanently.
Sneaker are the number one leisure shoe
Sneakers have experienced a real hype in recent years and it is impossible to imagine the fashion world without them. Even on the catwalks of this world sneakers have long been established and are now already the absolute standard. For leisure, there is hardly a shoe that better meets all the demands than a sneaker. Whether high-top or low-top sneaker, whether smooth leather or suede, whether simple or flashy, everything goes.
Business sneakers for the office
In the past, sneakers had little to do with office life and were only worn on Casual Friday. Nowadays, the situation has changed fundamentally and many companies allow sneakers to be worn also during the rest of the week - provided there is no official dress code. Sneakers are now almost as often combined with suits as elegant lace-ups or loafers. Especially smooth leather sneakers with a clean silhouette fit very well with a suit. But even suede leather sneakers can be worn with the right suit. Generally, light colours like white and cream can be combined with most business looks.
How pick the right sneaker for your suit?
If you want to style a sneaker with a suit, there are a few things you should look for when choosing your sneaker:
- simple, timeless design
- narrow silhouette
- muted color
- high quality materials like leather
- matching belt
How do I combine the color of my sneakers with the rest of my outfit?
The most common colours in the male fashion spectrum are undoubtedly blue, brown, grey, black, green, beige and white. It goes without saying that the sneakers should match the outfit in terms of color. Another rule of thumb is that the shoes and the belt should match. With our sneaker belt combos, you'll always find the perfectly matching belt to go with our sneakers. If you're going for a minimalist look, your outfit should only consist of 2-3 colours. Mostly you colour-match the sneakers with the top, but also tone in tone with the pants is possible (eg black-black).
White sneakers for men – How to style
Absolutely not a new trend, but nevertheless still as hip as the years before. White sneakers should definitely not be missing in any men's wardrobe. White sneakers fit in color to almost any outfit and can therefore be combined quite easily. Both to understated monochrome looks, as well as to fashionable outfits, white sneakers are always a good addition. Due to their versatility, white sneakers can also be combined well with a suit. However, make sure that the sneaker is well maintained and clean. Here you can find our guide on which belt to wear with white sneakers.
What do I need to know about the fit of Dalgado sneakers?
Our sneakers are a regular fit and are "true to size", meaning they should match your general sneaker size. If you are between two sizes, we recommend you to choose the larger size. For the best way to determine your sneaker size, check out our size guide. As with some other premium sneaker brands, we only offer whole sizes. We use EU sizes for our sneakers and offer sizes from EU40 - EU47. You can also find a conversion chart for UK or US sizes in our size guide as well as on each product page.
Why you should also think about the socks
When choosing your pants, you should make sure that the pants are not too wide at the ankles, so that the shape of the sneaker is well accentuated. Should you choose cropped pants, then the choice of socks should not be underestimated either. During spring and summer, sneakers can easily be worn with no-show socks to show off the ankles. During the colder months, sneakers can also be combined with plain cotton socks, like our socks made of premium Fil D'Ecosse cotton. Choose your socks in a color that matches your sneakers for a simple, monochromatic look, or choose a more eye-catching color if you want to add a little accent.
What materials do we use for our sneakers?
Sneakers come in all shapes, colours and materials - from leather to cotton to synthetically produced fabrics. For our sneakers we use exclusively Italian premium leather.
Our smooth leather sneakers are made of fine calf leather from the famous Italian tannery Mastrotto. It is considered one of the best tanneries in the world and has been awarded the highest quality seal "Gold" for its excellent quality and sustainable production processes. This leather quality makes our sneakers very durable.
The upper leather of our suede sneakers is a fine cowhide leather that we also source from the Italian tannery Mastrotto. Suede leather is characterised by a fibrous surface.
Proper care for men's sneakers
Our sneakers are made in one of the best sneaker manufactories in Portugal with premium materials and therefore have a long durability. However, in order for the sneakers to last a long time, some care is needed. Dirt, stains and moisture - sneakers have a lot to withstand. Since there is a lot to consider when caring for sneakers, here are a few tips:
1. Sneakers made of fabric can certainly be cleaned in the washing machine. For this, it is best to put the sneakers in a laundry net and wash them on a low temperature together with some towels, so that the sneakers are not thrown around too much. But for all other materials like leather, you should definitely stay away from the washing machine.
2. For leather sneakers, you should use a soft microfibre cloth to clean off dirt. Special brushes for leather shoes can also be used for gentle cleaning. For our smooth leather sneakers, we recommend spraying the leather with our Bamboo Lotion, carefully rubbing the dirty areas with a soft cloth and then letting them dry. For our suede sneakers, we recommend using a crepe brush instead of a cloth for this step.
3. To clean the sole of our sneakers spray the sneaker sole with our Bamboo Lotion and clean it with the rough side of a kitchen sponge.
4. For our smooth leather sneakers, apply a thin layer of our Organic Cream to the leather with a soft cloth and let it dry. For our suede sneakers, spray the leather with our Bamboo Lotion and brush the leather with a crepe brush to restore the typical suede look.
5. Last but not least, waterproof the sneakers to protect them from dirt. Repeat the process every 4-6 weeks or as needed.